Welcome

Welcome to my first experiment in keeping and maintaining chemical free, healthy bees. Please note that I am not a cabinet maker or bee biologist. Just some guy keeping bees in a box in the yard. This is an ongoing learning experience, all comments are welcome.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Welcome to bees!


With the queen cage in the box, it was time to pull the sugar syrup can and reach inside after it. What a welcome to the world of bees, my first package and I get to stick my hand in it! It turned out to be pretty cool, the bees were pretty mellow. Except for the one that got bumped between the top of my hand and the inside of the box. Rookie mistake. First sting. I had a cartoon hand for a few days, it was all swollen up. The guys at work thought it was hilarious. My six year old daughter shared some wisdom on the subject of bee stings: "You know dad, that's going to happen if you mess with bees."

No comments:

Post a Comment